(Updated on 25 May 2018)
At Relate West Surrey, we are committed to keeping your personal information safe and being clear about how we collect your data, how we store it and what we do with it.
All personal data provided by you through this website will be held by Relate West Surrey.
Our address is Provincial House, 26 Commercial Way, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6EN.
We are part of the National Relate Federation. Their address is Relate Ltd, Premier House, Carolina Court, Wisconsin Way, Doncaster, DN4 5RA. Their data protection registration number is: Z1642853. Full details of Relate’s notified purposes can be viewed at the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office www.ico.gov.uk
This Privacy Notice relates specifically to personal data that you provide to us through the www.relatewestsurrey.org.uk website. There are hyperlinks contained within our website which link to other websites owned and operated by third parties. These third parties have their own privacy policies and we recommend that you consider those when using their websites. We do not accept any liability or responsibility in terms of the privacy and security practices of these third party organisations and their websites.
Information we may collect from you
When you receive a service from our website or submit feedback, we may ask you for personal data and other information to allow us to provide you with the services or information that you require. This could include the following:
- Full name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Details of your enquiry
- Name of your organisation
Information you give to us indirectly
- We store data about your visits to our website, for example, your location data or IP address when you use our Find Your Nearest search engine.
- We store information about how you navigate our website, although this cannot be used to personally identify you.
- We may also collect and store your personal information if you interact with us on our social media channels: Facebook and Twitter. This will depend on your own privacy settings on these individual channels, so make sure you check these first.
Certain types of personal information are recognised by data protection law as being more ‘sensitive’. So things like sexual orientation, racial or ethnic origin, religious or political opinion, data concerning your health (mental or physical) or your sex life fall into this category.
Relate West Surrey will only collect sensitive information like this where it informs the provision of the service to you. Whenever we do this, we will state clearly at the time, why this information is required. We may also gather sensitive personal information if you choose to share your experiences with us for a case study, but we will only do this with your expicit consent.
If you’re a young person aged 13 or under. You must get the permission of your parent/guardian before providing Relate with any personal information.
How do we intend to use your personal data?
We will use your personal information to do the following:
- Provide you with information, products or services you’ve requested or that we feel might be of interest to you.
- Process one-off or regular donations and to claim Gift Aid.
- Make our marketing campaigns more targeted and relevant to potential clients and donors;
- Respond to direct requests where you contact us with a query – we will use your personal information to respond.
- Carry out general administrative tasks like dealing with complaints and feedback, essential record-keeping.
- Transact: we will use your personal information to take payments from you when processing orders and payments for services.
- Keep you safe: in the event that we reasonably think you (or someone else) is at risk of serious harm or abuse.
- Monitoring and evaluation: we use your personal information to inform and develop our service delivery.
- Improve your experience of our website, so that we may offer you a more user-friendly navigation of our website.
- Process applications to work at Relate: for example, if you fill in an application form or send us your CV or send us information speculatively in respect of possible contract opportunities.
Will my personal data be shared with other organisations?
Your personal data provided by you via our website will only be used by Relate West Surrey.
In exceptional circumstances such as dealing with fraud, credit risk, dealing with abusive online behaviour, to enforce rights, to protect property, to protect human safety, if the law requires it; or if we sell or merge any part of our business, we may pass your personal data to another person or organisation to use for their own purposes. We will not otherwise disclose your personal data to anyone outside Relate West Surrey to use for their own purpose without telling you, for example, by updating this privacy statement.
How long will Relate West Surrey retain my personal data?
At Relate West Surrey, we are committed to retaining your personal information for no longer than necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was first collected. This is in line with guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office. Relate West Surrey may hold some types of data for up to seven years.
For example, in the case of financial transactions like donations and purchases, we will keep your personal information for as long as legally required in respect of tax or accounting purposes, which could be anything up to six years after a transaction has taken place.
Where will my personal data be kept?
Once we have received your personal data we will use recognised industry standard procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Your personal data will be under the control of Relate West Surrey. It will be held on our computer system. Parts of our computer system, including our website and email are provided by our UK suppliers of computer systems, and are provided for Relate West Surrey’s sole use. When we print your personal data this will be in the possession and control of our employees, regional centres and counsellors at all times and will be securely disposed of when it is considered to be of no further use.
Keeping your personal information safe
We have both digital and operational safeguards to make sure your data is secure at Relate West Surrey. Access to information is reviewed on a regular basis and limited to those people who actually need to access it, and are assigned the permission to do so.
All Relate online webforms are protected by secure end-to-end encryption. Where we pass highly sensitive data over the internet such as credit or debit card details, Relate uses TLS to encrypt data between the client and our partners.
Relate is PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliant and uses PCI compliant providers to collect this data on our behalf; we don’t store this data on our own systems.
There are, however, inherent risks to passing information over public networks and Relate cannot 100% guarantee the security of data handled in this way. Relate’s web servers are located in England and Ireland.
Your rights and managing your own data
You have the right to request access to the personal information that Relate West Surrey processes about you. You can ask for corrections to be made to the information we hold or for your personal information to be deleted. You can also ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information or to object to the processing of it altogether.
We will ask you for proof of identity and upon this being successfully verified, you are entitled to obtain the following information about your personal information:
- any information available as to the source of your personal data
- the personal data of which you are a data subject
- the purpose for which we are using it
- the recipients to whom we have disclosed or may disclose your personal data
The Data Protection Act does not entitle you to see non-personal data or information about other data subjects. This information will be provided to you within 40 days of receiving your written request and payment of £10 (non-refundable) to cover our administrative costs.
To make a subject access request for your personal data please post your request for the attention of: The Data Controller, Relate West Surrey, Provincial House, 26 Commercial Way, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6EN. Please enclose your payment for £10 and make cheques payable to Relate West Surrey.
You have rights under the Data Protection Act which you can exercise at any time by writing to the Data Controller at the address above. Exercising your rights may make it difficult or impossible for us to provide you with services.
Cookies are little text files downloaded by and stored on your device (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) when you visit a website. Cookies are used to help the website owner (in this case, Relate West Surrey) to provide you with a smooth experience while you browse.
- Make our website work
- Collect anonymous data to gain insight into how visitors use our website
- Help us show advertisements about our services to those people who might be interested in them
- Allow you to share content with social networks like Twitter and Facebook.
You can manage how your browser handles cookies, or refuse them altogether, by changing your settings. www.aboutcookies.org has useful information on how to manage cookies in your browser.